AMWA has a sustainable events policy, where the association seeks to partner with our event hosts and minimize event environmental impacts. Read on to learn more about the sustainability measures taken by the Loews Coronado Bay Resort and AMWA for the 2023 Executive Management Conference.
The Loews Coronado Bay Resort's sustainability measures
- Green hotel standards and practices - Loews is thoroughly committed to reducing its environmental impact by actively participating in standards that are in harmony with the earth’s natural resources and direction through their partnership with ENERGY STAR and other green initiatives. The hotel is a proud member of the Greens Meetings Industry Council.
- The hotel's green standards and practices include:
- Food Donations;
- Sustainable linen/terry policy;
- Banquet and back-of-house recycling;
- Eco-friendly inks and papers;
- Energy-efficient technologies, including low-flow shower heads and compact fluorescent light bulbs; and
- Green Training and Green Teams.
- Sustainable catering - The Loews features locally sourced, seasonal fruits and vegetables in its menus. In room service, lounges, bars, banquet rooms and restaurants, including pool restaurants, only reusable linen, dish ware and silverware are used. Recycled products used at every Loews Hotel include cocktail napkins and Loews On The Go cups. Catering staff ensure energy-saving measures in hotel kitchens by monitoring and logging fridge and freezer temperature controls daily.
AMWA’s commitment to sustainability at EMC
- Reducing waste - Continuing on trends in the last two AMWA meetings, AMWA will no longer be providing attendees with paper folders onsite. A QR code will be available at the registration desk to download the materials, and the materials will also be emailed to attendees in advance of the event.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions - AMWA encourages attendees to consider the value of carbon offsets for travel to its meetings. If possible, attendees interested in carbon offsetting should consider pursuing offsetting as a conference fee with their organization. Many airlines show flight options ranked by emissions, and some even offer carbon offsets with the purchase of a flight. For those interested in choosing a program or specific project as an offset, there are organizations like Gold Standard and Terrapass that are committed to funding projects that combine carbon credits with sustainable development goals.
- Reducing travel impacts - AMWA continues to research and identify policies for reducing emissions in its daily operations and employee travel. For the 2023 EMC, the Loews Coronado Bay Resort is within walking distance of Silver Strand State Beach and provides a shuttle to Downtown Coronado Village, ensuring attendees won’t need to rely on private transportation for much of their trip.