Director of Communications and Utility Management Programs
The Association of Metropolitan Water Agencies (AMWA) seeks an innovative, experienced professional for the position of Director of Communications and Utility Management Programs.
AMWA is the voice of metropolitan water systems on federal water policy issues, and its programs foster sustainable, innovative utility management. AMWA is a member driven organization that advocates for drinking water issues such as water infrastructure and investment, water quality protection, security and disaster response, climate adaptation and water conservation. AMWA provides resources for water executives, and peer to peer networking. Working with more than 180 utilities across the country, AMWA helps ensure that the perspectives of its member utilities are heard in Congress and at regulatory agencies. AMWA offers equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. This position provides competitive salary and benefits, including health insurance and a retirement 401(k) plan.
The senior-level position of Director of Communications and Utility Management Programs implements AWMA’s utility management programs and has communication responsibilities involving publications, conferences, member relations, and membership development. The ideal candidate will be interested in and motivated by work that involves safe drinking water, making a difference, and utilizing his/her creativity and innovation to promote AMWA’s mission. This position interacts with top water utility leaders from around the country and can make a positive impact on utility management. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer. Specifically, this position:
- Develops resources, products and programs to support and improve utility leadership and management;
- Oversees research, writing, editing, and production of AMWA’s Monday Morning Briefing and Water Utility Executive newsletters, AMWA’s annual report, and utility management publications along with editing support for other newsletters, bulletins, testimony, speeches, and other written materials;
- Conducts surveys, promotes member participation, publishes results, and oversees updates of a database and dashboard;
- Directs AMWA's Utility Management Awards program;
- Serves as primary liaison to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on utility management initiatives;
- Coordinates participation for Value of Water Campaign, and the Water and Wastewater Leadership Center, and serves as primary staff liaison for the Utility Management Committee;
- Serves as the media contact person;
- Acts as primary liaison for members for questions, requests and services, and developing membership;
- Contributes as a team member to ensure realization of AMWA goals, assisting with conferences, meetings, program development, and performing other duties as requested by the Chief Operating Officer.
The Director of Communications and Utility Management Programs position requires a self- starter with a willing to learn attitude and the following requirements:
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written (writing sample required);
- Excellent proof-reading/editing skills and attention to detail;
- Program/project management skills and experience;
- Effective time management skills, the ability to multi-task, and strong organizational skills;
- Exceptional and demonstrated relationship skills, including a customer service attitude and experience working with volunteers;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Technological literacy and savvy. InDesign experience a plus. AMWA is a Macintosh office environment;
- Professional, collaborative, and innovative approach with an interest in safe water work;
- Prefer 4-5 years of relevant experience such as communications, program development, or marketing and promotions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Experience with utilities or associations a plus.
How to apply
- Submit a coverletter, resume and writing sample to Caroline@kallanstrategic.com. Please include AMWA in the subject line.
- For the writing sample, it must be 2 pages or less, preferably something published (newsletter, online, etc.) that demonstrates adeptness with technical clarity and use of language. Visit the AMWA website at www.amwa.net/mmb for examples of the AMWA Monday Morning Briefing, articles for which are written by various staff members.
- Please submit application by March 18, 2020.
- Candidates for initial phone interviews will be selected on a rolling basis through the application deadline.
- Late April or sooner start date is strongly desired.
- Please no phone calls.